Saturday, November 15, 2008
Reading together
One of my fondest memories from childhood is of my father gathering us three children together for a weekly, sometimes nightly if it was the holidays, reading session, where he would read to us. This went on even when we were all reading quite independently, and a book would be chosen that we could all enjoy. Somewhat reluctant at first, I confess, but later I grew to love listening to his wonderful reading voice. Sometimes, in our haste to get our child/ren reading on their own, we forget that one of the joys of a good story is in the listening. In this day and age, we regularly hear about the importance of a family eating together, and sharing about their day. Perhaps we could build on this with regular family reading sessions? With the holidays nearly upon us, now is the time to think about a good book that you could share with your children in a regular reading aloud session. My children, ranging in age from 7 to 13, are currently enjoying Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, by J.K. Rowling. They are enthralled by the story, and can hardly bear to wait for the next evening's reading. Neither can I. I have always been an impatient reader who simply must sneak peeks at what happens next! Which book will you choose for your children?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment